House statistics as of 1st June 2017 parliament session, the 52 members seating language suggests the Prime Minister Charlot Salwai still commands a majority of 46 MPs on the government side, 5 in the opposition and 1 independent MP, in contrast.
What is the role of opposition in democracy?
According to Quora.
- To criticise the policies, plans, bills and laws which, in accordance with them, are against the common people’s welfare.They should highlight the negative points of these.
- The opposition should clear out its stand on each and every issue concerned with the people.It helps in smooth working of the parliament.
- Leader of opposition has a key role during working of the house.Moreover, it has a signified role as a member of selection committee for appointment of bureaucrats like Chief justice, Directors of Central Institutions, etc.
- He is also a represents opposition in JPC( Joint Parliament Commission ) and all party meeting.
- To have a tight view on distribution of the budget by Govt. and if any scam is found, then reveal it out in front of nation.